Everyday we ask influential politicos to send us their top three bullet points that are driving the day's conversation in and outside Washington.
Senior Political Columnist for TheDailyBeast.com John Avlon:
– Palin media blitz corresponds with record lows of popularity – Whether it's her book tour, reality tv, mainstream media interviews or dancing with the stars, Palin is everywhere. But a new Gallup poll finds that 52% of all Americans have an unfavorable opinion of her. Her supporters love her deeply, but her social media approach to a pre-campaign of direct reveal alienates more than it attracts.
– Maxine Waters investigation gets worse – the ethics trial delay was not an absolution but because of new emails that implicate her staff and family for lobbying directly for the bailout of a small bank that her husband was invested in. This apparently occurred after she was warned to avoid conflicts. The digital trial could widen the investigation considerably and possibly lead to new charges for some implicated. The Democrat's promise to preside over the 'most ethical congress ever' will take another hit.
– GOP plays politics with nuclear arms treaty? – The Obama administration is doubling down on their push for the ratification of the new START treaty. With no senate Republicans except Dick Lugar supporting the treaty at this point and 67 votes needed, this is a high stakes, heavy lift for the lame duck. But it's worth asking when the GOP has resisted the overwhelming recommendations of military leaders and living Republican secretaries of state. This should be bigger than partisan politics and the desire to deny Obama a victory on the world stage.
RedState.Com Editor Erick-Woods Erickson:
– North Korea. What will President Obama do? People forget how close to a strike President Clinton was back in the 90's.
– Will Palin or won't she? We're talking Bristol on Dancing With the Stars, not her mom.
– The Ericksons have a new house. Yay!