John King, USA

The latest political news and information on the most important stories affecting you.
January 26th, 2012

Brewer recounts tense encounter with President Obama

CNN's John King talks to Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer about a tense encounter she had with President Obama. Gov. Brewer responds to President Obama's comments that she is blowing the exchange out of proportion.

Filed under: Interview • JKUSA
  1. joeinalabama

I wish I could get a chance to talk to BO that way, the way he is spending and devaluing what little I've saved for retirement.

January 26, 2012 at 9:45 pm |
  2. Socrates

Sorry, I will not buy your book. You gave us two versions of one story at the end of your meeting with the president at the White House. It seems to me you just need publicity to sell your book. Cheap shut.

January 26, 2012 at 10:21 pm |
    • browndog7751

Hmm.....your final word, shut, is most likely a typo. Question is: should the "u" be an "o", or the "h" an "l"?

January 28, 2012 at 10:20 am |
  3. Mark H

WHAT a LIAR! BUSTED!

January 26, 2012 at 10:27 pm |
  4. Lisa Dahl

As a citizen and business person of this beautiful State of Arizona I am disgusted and appalled that Governor Brewer would show such disrespect as to raise her finger in President Obama's face. If he were not such a gentleman himself he could surely have leveled her.

January 26, 2012 at 10:31 pm |
    • Dhandy

Bear in mind, this is a wkleey column. ah so much material. So little time. LOLBTW, *loved* the first one from TOTUS blog. One of my favorite chuckles, behind Wordsmith's Sunday funnies.Reply

February 22, 2012 at 4:19 pm |
  5. Tom Joad

Brewer is a dull witted, bleach blond woman with a fat behind. Arizona doesn't ask too much of their elected officials

January 26, 2012 at 10:47 pm |
  6. 1rooster

I think Jan Brewer made a fool of herself. This picture will go down in infamy, showing a governor disrespecting the President of the United States of America.

January 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm |
  7. MaryM

There is no grace sticking your finger in the Presidents face. Brewer is disgusting and her disrespect is racist!!

January 26, 2012 at 11:50 pm |
    • Brittney

Why does that make her racist?? I'm certain she was responding to what he said and not the color of his skin.

February 2, 2012 at 7:59 pm |
  8. labman57

Brewer claimed Obama was abrasive, rude, and thin-skinned ... all video and eye-witness evidence to the contrary. Methinks she is projecting.

Then she claimed that she felt "threatened" by Obama. Seriously?
    White female governor feels threatened by tall, uppity black POTUS. News at 11.

Brewer is just trying to rationalize her irrational, disrespectful behavior to save face. Her core supporters will no doubt be aroused by her stunt, but the vast majority of her constituents are most likely ashamed of their governor right now.

January 26, 2012 at 11:53 pm |
  9. SBee

Jan Brewer is a racist! Her book is moronic! She cares nothing about the people of Arizona, and merely trying to enhance book sales by staging a confrontation with the President; a gutless move! She would do better to take a sorely needed bath in the fountain of youth, and invest in numerous BOTOX injections!!!!!

January 27, 2012 at 12:19 am |
  10. MB

Republican Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer- a total B#***!!!!!!!!! The Republican Party is nothing more than a terrorist party of idiots. Full of hatred and obnoxious behavior. All they do is complain!!!. Nothing but a bunch of bullies that want everything to go their way. The secret service should have broken off her finger since she has no respect for the President of the United States regardless of who it is.

January 27, 2012 at 1:16 am |
  11. Vee

I dont care if you agree or disagree with the President of the United State..RESPECT him as you want to be respected Ms. Brewer. You are a disgrace to your state and this country.

January 27, 2012 at 11:05 am |
  12. Ashley

SHE MADE THIS UP AND THREW A TANTRUM.>>> I won't vote for her again. http://bit.ly/rwoJWs

January 27, 2012 at 12:28 pm |
  13. MaryM

There is NO grace in sticking your finger in the Presidents face. Brewer is disgusting and her disrespect is her racism rearing its ugly head.

January 27, 2012 at 12:39 pm |
  14. Eric

First let me state that I am a republican. I have been struggling with this because of the predatory and tactless manner in which you have handled this presidency. Some of the Presidents ideas and past actions are things that I do not endorse or support but there is one thing that I would like to address with my fellow republicans. Respect is something that a president has earned and Mr. Obama is OUR president. I have a hard time respecting my own party when I see people like Governor Janice K Brewer disrespecting OUR President in public. There was a time that we as an American people took ownership of OUR President. We utilized phrases like “my President”, “my country” and now I hear “No more Obama”, “president OSAMA” and it goes against what is right in our country. At a minimum think about the image you portray to the rest of the world. Republicans didn’t like Clinton, but even with his misdeeds, he didn’t get the treatment that OUR current President has received thru his ENTIRE presidency.

January 27, 2012 at 1:05 pm |
  15. PayBacksAreAB*tch...

Blood Libel again...so hows that congressional hearing going on the TransCanada pipleline deal? Oh all fall down?
    You can't hide from that Brewer so tell your Blood Libel buddy Sarah Palin that her advice blew up and the secrets have gone mad...Like Sarah Palin's crimes in Alaska...but I am guessing by the activity recently her and Todd are in panic mode...let's hope they don't kill someone again...who oh the Commish of Revenue lost his life...how? Todd rigged his plane's belt to not protect him...he has a plane just like it hu Todd? Rememer Pay Back's are coming...
    Oh wait better attempt to kill some more people...or do I have the WRONG ADDRESS??? Can anyone say Hello Iran?

January 27, 2012 at 4:22 pm |
  16. Elle

People that have limited education frequently resort to violence and threats to get their point across. Jan Brewer is right, she felt threatened. Shes a graduate of Glendale Community College and President Obama received his law degree from Havard. She felt the only way she could debate him was to resort to physical violence. Maybe she does that to her husband at home too. They say, "you can put lipstick on a pig...", well, you know the rest.

January 27, 2012 at 6:39 pm |
  17. Clayton Udoh

After this Brewer in her defense used the famous ,"I felt threatened by a black man line". Everybody knows that Arizona is a haven for Executive White supremist and racist. This what the Republican party is all about over here. All she used to win the election was the border.Meanwhile President Obama has put more into the borders than any other President before him.He has deported more immigrants than any other President before him. If she had her way he should be in jail like other black men under her jurisdiction.

January 27, 2012 at 7:52 pm |
  18. Possibilian

"Low-intelligence adults tend to gravitate toward socially conservative ideologies," a recent study in the United Kingdom found. "Those ideologies, in turn, stress hierarchy and resistance to change, attitudes that can contribute to prejudice," wrote Gordon Hodson, a psychologist at Ontario University.

January 28, 2012 at 10:28 am |
  19. strikelightning

somebody tell me ONE THING president obama has done for the american people since he took office. he's mad at governor brewer because she had the nerve stand tall for the citizens of arizona and to take matters into her own hands when she saw that her state ( like all other states), could not depend on the federal government or the president to properly address the illegal immigration issue. she rubbed it in obamas' face how arizonas' unemployment situation solved itself when the thousands of illegal immigrants left arizona to go states run by cowards without backbones to stand up for their citizens. i only wish jan brewer was on the presidential ticket now. i don't think i have to worry about a second obama term. what the republicans fail to realize is that do not have to beat obama. he has already beaten himself out of re-election due to ineffective leadership.

January 28, 2012 at 12:14 pm |
  20. Sissy

This incident is sickening! The woman needs serious social skills training. My G'ma and Mama would've taken her down a notch or two ......then reinforced the lesson in the wood shed. Why didn't the Secret Service slam her butt down on the pavement? She threatened the POTUS, she should've been taken down and then escorted out!

January 28, 2012 at 4:58 pm |
  21. Bianca Speights

Bottom line it was disrespectful. We cannot go to work & speak to our boss this way and point in his face can we? Try it & see if you still have a job afterwards. I don't care what your differences are with President Obama. This was out of line, I was ashmed as an American, and she made herself look like a FOOL. The President was FAIRLY VOTED in by Americans last I recal! There's no way she felt threatened when she was standing in the SAFEST place in America at that time! Secret service, snippers and your threatened by the President with a suit on? C'mon lady. You are a disgrace to Arizona. The least you couldve done was just act professional!! Now she will be remembered as the white woman who pointed her finger in the black president's face! It's not about race but she sure makes it look that way. I was never fond of Bush but I never saw him being treated like this while he was laying the foundation to destroy our economy from the beginning!

January 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm |
  22. Obama kids names

Barack obama mentioned our children ought to be multilingual. nOt necessarily a bad thought if we want to talk much better with this neighborhood friends as well as other nations throughout the sea.spilleautomat

February 8, 2012 at 8:33 pm |