John King, USA

The latest political news and information on the most important stories affecting you.
January 19th, 2012

Discussing Obama and foreign policy in the 2012 race

John King speaks with Fareed Zakaria about his interview with President Barack Obama for TIME magazine.

Filed under: 2012 • Interview • JKUSA
  1. feyi

Your question to Speaker Gingrich was absolutely right and necessary and his reaction showed you got through to him.You owe him no apologies or explanation as a journalist about an issue brought up by his ex-wife.You handled the situation quite well during the debate but seem apologetic on AC360. You are doing what great journalists do,ask tough, thought provoking questionswhich will usually rattle the unprepared and the guilty. Reminds me of the likes of Frost,Dimbleby to mention a few. Well done!!

January 19, 2012 at 10:43 pm |
  2. Antoinette Hille

I believe John King started tonight's debate correctly by asking at the beginning the question about Newt's second wife claim about an open marriage. If he can't be honest about that, and he loses his cool when answering and blames the media? What will Newt do as president – lose his temper every time things don't go his way?!

January 19, 2012 at 10:58 pm |
  3. Patty Slater

I watched the debate this evening....Good on you for asking the hard questions....please remember..the best defense is always offense. Great Job as always!!!
    I was hoping someone would have asked why exactly Obama is failing as a President? Could it possibly be because no one in the congress or senate wants to work with him...that their goal is to make him a one term President? (Yes I did ignore the capitol letters in congress and senate, because they don't deserve the respect) I hope and pray that Mr. Obama gets re-elected and proves his merit. And I'm a Canadian.

January 20, 2012 at 1:27 am |
  4. Patricia Kirk-Trimble

Fareed Zakaria "Obama tougher on Iran than Bush." Zakaria lives in a delusional world.

January 20, 2012 at 3:24 am |
  5. Mark Castilla

lose a lot of respect for john king his first question should have not been asked . i think that he was a fair person

January 20, 2012 at 7:43 am |
    • Heathcliff

Sorry Mark. The office of President of the USA needs a mature individual with impeccable morals. The voting public has every right to know about the personal life of their candidates. John King should not have backed down. I assume he was shocked at the manner in which Gingrich behaved. Gingrich used the second oldest trick in Journalism....attack the messenger.....and John let him get away with that. He should have continued to ask questions & elicit answers. I am waiting for another Journalist to get iinformation that I need to hear.

January 23, 2012 at 5:05 pm |
  6. Eva Cardenas

Saw how Ginrich 'lambast' John King for asking question about the first wife. I think that the Press should also not let them be bullied. Newt uses that style of being aggresive and righteous which catches one off-guard. That question should have been pursued in the interest of honesty and integrity. He could just have said a point blank - that is a lie. He turned the table to his advantage, get the audience sympathy. This is how the press should handle Newt - they should also attack him head-on, and let us see who will win, afterall he has everything to lose whenever he starts to show his real color.

January 20, 2012 at 11:57 am |
  7. TruthMakesPeace

Thank you John! It is NOT "despicable" for John King to ask if a potential president has morals. We see what Newt will do to any question of his behavior – such as leaving his wife for another woman when she was in the hospital with cancer. He will attack anyone who question him, and try to turn it around and make it look like we are bad for asking. Newt only showed more despicable behavior, rather than apologizing for it. Better to elect someone who is moral to begin with.

January 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm |
  8. Tib Di Martino

I personally give Kudos to John King for asking Gingrich atough question that the GREAT MAJORITY of americans is questioning. Gingrich reaction to Mr. King was totally uncalled for. Mr. King asked a question in a fair and open setting without going behind Gingrich's back. He had been the first one to question President Clinton on his affair but, he feels that different standard should apply to him. He shouldn't be the one being Appalled, we Americans should be on his reaction! John King has proven over and over again to be a fair and direct professional who never took a stand for any of the two political parties as some other anchors instead have done!........keep on doing your great job Mr. King!

January 20, 2012 at 4:37 pm |
  9. George Jone

isn't sc a winner take all state, at least as declared the the sc gop

January 20, 2012 at 6:18 pm |
  10. Sharon Beatty

I'm a conservative independent voter and I took offense at how Gingrich chastised John King. It was a fair question for John to ask. After all his character profile should be considered. His past paints a picture of a cheating husband. His wife is basically a husband stealer. So why wouldn't anyone want to hear his answer to the question. Gingrich has a lot of nerve to turn the table and skirt the question by attacking the moderator. Sorry John.

January 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm |
  11. Lorrum

Good job on the debate, John! It appears that the Republicans continue to shoot the messenger. Newt divorced his first wife when she had cancer, left his second wife when she had multiple sclerosis, while he carried on with Calista for years, prior to their marriage. How is Newt the victim here? His moral character is severely lacking and I can't believe the Republicans would nominate such a despicable person to be President of the United States.

January 21, 2012 at 12:23 am |
  12. Lilly Collette

I was appalled by the applause that bling-rich got for his arrogant attack on Mr. King. It was a disgusting show of a 'lynch mob' mentallity so pervasive in this morally backwards state.

January 21, 2012 at 4:28 am |
  13. Richard C.

John,
    I'm one of those evangelical Christians everyone's always talking about. I thought you had a legitimate question of
    Gingrich and he blamed you and other media outlets for his bad behavior. He seems to divert and deflect questions he doesn't want to answer. The media describe his wife Callista as a devoute Catholic , but how devoute are you when you have an affair with a married man for 6 years. I watch Fox News and Neil Cavuto agreed with you on the question and chided Gingrich for attacking you. I don't normally watch CNN, but I will at least watch your show now.
    Good work and God Bless.

January 21, 2012 at 9:23 am |
  14. Joseph Saragusa

As a moderator, you have the power to ask any question on any issue. Some of my fellow republicans may cry foul but many who do so are being very hypocritical. If the personal life of President Clinton warranted impeachment as many republicans thought in days gone by, how is the personal life of this candidate (for the same office) not relevant? I'm tired of political hypocrisy on both sides of the isle. You are a good moderator Mr. King. Thank you

January 21, 2012 at 11:41 am |
  15. Cathy Clark

the man has proven in so many way so many times he cannot be trusted.

January 21, 2012 at 10:47 pm |